Wednesday, December 20, 2006

With a Cigarette in my hand: A Lesson Learnt Late

When cable TV had come into our Indian/Doordarshan-only lives in early 90s, there was this very popular anti-smoking campaign on, if I remember correctly, Zee Tv. Titled 'A Lesson Learnt Late', it was not just any other advertorial sorta thingie. Rather, it was a full-fledged song running into maybe 4 minutes or so. The impact of this ad is obvious from the fact that irrespective of its title, people remember it as 'With a Cigarette in my hand' song/campaign. The lyrics were really meaningful and the tune was catchy. The vocals (Gary Lawyer) were amazing too. In a nutshell, a very impressive public-service campaign. I've been looking for this song for long time now, but to no avail. If anyone has it, please lemme know. Here is the vid of the ad campaign.



and the complete song with lyrics (Thanks to Pujit):





It was, I remember, many years ago,
When I had failed to distinguish between a friend and a foe,
When they had invited me ,holding open the pack,
When I lost to curiosity, instead of being taken aback,
When on that fateful day , for the first time,
I held a cigarette in my hand.

It was, I felt a part of being in the teens,
And what had started with a puff or two became a routine.
The smoke's illusion blinded me for as it arose,
Arose my spirits too, and I muttered to myself, "I can" because,
With a cigarette in my hand ,
I felt like a man.

Soon it came out in the open, for it had become a habit I could not hide,
I was helpless, for I could not help but continue,
Even when I knew, it was eating me up from inside,
I was sick...my body and my soul and I realized,
With the cigarette in my hand,
I was a dying man.

Soon I was just a lifeless form, a hollow,
People shunned me everywhere, I wished,
If only had I done something which others could follow,
But it was too late, I had taken the wrong path, and I was ignored, because
With a cigarette in my hand,
I was a hated man.

All the time, tears filled my eyes,
For people had bid me their good byes,
I wept because my cells , my body was choking ,
If only on that first day,my friends had been joking,
And then one day, the cigarette dropped from my hand,
I was a dead man


Videos updated on 11-Jun-2009.

17 comments:

  1. I am looking for this song too from quite some time. If I remember correctly it was on Doordashan as we didn't used to have Cable at that time.

    As I remember it was from Tata Cancer Hospital or Tata Cancer Society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ur Comment...
    I had see this on Zee TV...
    I am also looking for the track..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here check this out:
    http://www.indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?p=340627#post340627

    I will come up with the chords for this song pretty soon :)
    Ofcourse I will have to really strain my memory hard to remember the tune exaclty.

    Lets see.
    Anyone has mp3/wav/video anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey nice lines ........... Nostalgia hit me when I was reading this ......... Kindly let me know that where can I get the video of this song or the audio of this....

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude

    u ahve the lyrics :)

    i assume u have the song as well

    can u pls snd it to me or give me a link to it

    pls mail me @ rockychh@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Chirag...

    Wish I had the song...

    ReplyDelete
  7. here it is.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWqa_8QR4KU

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Pujit: Thanks a lot !!!
    I have updated the vid in the post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. does anybody have the lyrics of the same song by Gary Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi All! the cigarette in my hand lyrics are wrong... the one Gary has sung and the ones which are on the blog differ...could anybody get the rite lyrics please, if you can please mail me at bhumyinder@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Harshad for the song...

    it is also available for download on coolgoose now
    http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=431310

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lyrics dont match to d song.........

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have cydia and installous on my jailbroken and unlocked iphone I keep hearing people say you can get free apps from the store with installous but how exactly does it work do I need to use a computer? Can anyone please explain it to me in steps also what kind of apps can I get after it works thanks!
    [url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  15. i unlocked my iphone today and now i want use it on any gsm network worldwide , i have 3.1.2 firmware and my iphone was iphone 3g , it was really easy , i was on AT&T network and now i use tmobile , really nice
    ________________
    [url=http://www.unlock-iphone.org]unlock iphone 3g[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude...u got the lyrics too!
    I think I had seen the ad for the first time on good ol Doordarshan...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey guys, can anyone post the guitar tabs or chords for this song pla, wud be great

    ReplyDelete